Friday, February 18, 2011

Sad day - Feb 17, 2011

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this post. After two horrible days of watching mom fight for breath, and the only options being hospital and ventilator or Hospice, Dad and I chose and called Hospice this morning.

What that means is that right now she is still here at home, and she is getting no meds/needles, etc., except those needed for pain relief. Mom’s mind was clear last night and this morning, and she knows and condones the choice we made.

Now it is in God’s hands – she is a strong woman, and even though her lungs and heart are working triple time, she could conceivably be with us for a month or more – but by the same token, she could be gone next week.

If you are close enough to visit, please do so…if not, please say a prayer that mom suffers no more – and that Dad and I are strong enough to get through this for her.

Thanks so much for your good wishes and prayers – they mean the world to us!


  1. Dear friend - that is a tough decision, but the right one. As you know, we went through the same with Len's Mom last year. And 5 years ago with my own Dad.

    You now have the opportunity to cherish each moment left.

    We had breakfast on Tuesday with Ali and Ron who are on their way to Hondo.

    We will keep your family in our prayers and wish each of you peace.

  2. Dear Peggy, Just reading this in March and don't know what's happened since this post...but my heart goes out to you and your family. May you be strong and tender and loving and know that you are doing the best you can.

  3. I have read this post and will keep your mother and family in my prayers today.